We started to experiment with stuffing all sorts of veg and roasting dishes in the oven instead of frying. This helped us keep washing up to a minimum and also added a healthy approach to cooking. Here’s our vegan, roasted butternut squash with broccoli, asparagus and red pepper.
We weren't fans of butternut squash until we started cooking with it. Trying different methods, by roasting, frying and using it in curry. It might take a little while longer to cook, but the prep work is easy. You only rely on the oven to cook the veg. We baked an avocado, by drizzling 1/2 tsp coconut oil and adding crushed garlic, salt and pepper before baking for 20 minutes.
The method below can also be tweaked by using lentils and quinoa with the veg!
Cook & prep time: 60-70 mins
- Slice the butternut squash in half and give it a clean, scoring out the middle
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- Lightly score the butternut squash, drizzle coconut oil over it, season it well with salt & pepper, then bake on the middle shelf in the oven for 45 mins
- In a bowl, combine, tender stem broccoli, asparagus, chopped red peppers and a little coconut oil
- Finely chop garlic and add to the bowl together with pine nuts
- Add pink Himalayan salt and black pepper to taste and thoroughly mix
- On the 45 mins mark, add the ingredients from the bowl over the butternut squash and bake for a further 20 mins
- Server with baked avocados, lemon or lime
- You could even sprinkle a few crushed chillies over once cooked to add a spicy kick