This vegan chickpea and sweet potato curry with pilaf rice is super easy, quick, requires minimum washing up and its perfect for those, who may just have a tin of chickpeas and chopped tomatoes in their cupboard as we did. We were in a rush and all we had was a tin of tomatoes, chickpeas, a random sweet potato and a tin of plain rice.
You can throw in the sweet potato or leave it out, either way, this dish will work. We keep dried herbs and spices in stock at all times together with sesame seeds and black onion (kalonji) seeds. Many people have asked what black onion seeds are. Well, they have a very distinctive flavour as you might have eaten them in an Indian restaurant when ordering naan. Those little black seeds on the naan bread are black onion seeds. Like sesame seeds, but black.
Cook & prep time: 15 mins
- In a wok or pan, heat a little coconut oil
- On medium to high heat, throw in some chopped onions and few curry leaves
- When the onions brown, add 2 finely chopped garlic cloves and bite-size sweet potato
- Add 1 tbsp of sriracha sauce or chili powder
- Season with 1 tsp pink Himalayan salt and add 1 tbsp mild curry powder and mix for 30 seconds (do not burn the garlic)
- Add a tin of chickpeas and continue to mix for a further minute
- If you have any black onion seeds then add them now.
- Add a tin of chopped tomatoes.
- Fill the empty tin with 3/4 water, pour it into the curry and let it simmer for 10 mins
- Once the water has evaporated and the sauce thickens take it off the heat
- Serve with pilaf rice